Sunday, September 18, 2011

In Store

"Why do you shop there? Think of a store where you occasionally shop. Can you write a piece that uses all five senses to describe the essence of this store?"


I walk into a big building named Wal-Mart. The lights high above are bright and florescent, casting a dull light onto objects and people inside the store; reflecting off of the white, speckled floor tiles. The smell of perfumes mixed with bananas fills my nostrils. And another scent I cannot put my finger on- a scent only associated with Wal-Mart-of a professional office cubical, maybe. I hear a mixture of sounds that follow me through the isles, of kids laughing, of mothers mothering, and of shoes hitting the ground as people shop. Another sense, touch, is represented through the items I feel, that I put into my cart, that I pick up but then put back down, deciding I shouldn't buy. And then there is the testing stage of the trip which only happens once every few visits. This latest testing stage included my approval over Kleenex Brand Tissue Paper, newly formulated with nose-soothing technology. I must say, it did soothe my nose and it was quite frankly soft and silk-like. Tasting is another sense I can point out about Wal-Mart. Subway hides in the corner of the store, but the aromas drag you in. The taste of my always-the-same grilled chicken breast with cheddar cheese, black olives, tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, and sweet onion sauce drizzled delightfully over the concoction is always pleasant and never dull. The sweet onion sauce compliments the grilled chicken breast very nicely. The crispy pickles are sweet and tart at the same time. And the lettuce adds that final crunch that makes the sandwich whole.

These senses combined make Wal-Mart, well, Wal-Mart. It is one of the familiarities that I have grown to like when shopping at this store, and maybe why I continue to come back on an almost weekly basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment