Saturday, September 17, 2011

So Bored

"Is boredom a state of mind? Write about a kid--perhaps yourself--trying very hard not to be bored."
-Writingfix.com


Many times as a kid I would find myself waiting for something: a ride, my mother, the bus. Sometimes I would wait a couple of minutes and other times I would wait an hour or more. I like to think I became an expert on beating boredom. How, you ask? Twiddling my thumbs, for one. Reading. But one thing that I always did, never got tired of, and passed the time for me, even as a teenager... observing other people. May sound a bit creepy, but it wasn't, I promise. I would try and think of life stories to fit the person I was people watching. A young lady who aspired to be an actress, and older lady with a long list of life stories. And sometimes when I would observe others, I couldn't help but feel a small attachment to a few. A friendly mother figure who looked warm and sweet, an elderly couple who looked so nice and inviting.
I could spend a lot of time just pondering life's meanings, who people were, people's meanings and who I was as a person on this Earth.
Or, maybe I would sing a song, making up my own lyrics to the tune of a good song I had stuck in my head that week. Or maybe I would space out just enjoying the alone time.


September 17th, 2011

1 comment:

  1. We learned early on never to tell my mother we were bored. She would always have a handy list of things we could do that were not necessarily fun in our way of thinking. I always ask my children who is responsible for their boredom - it looks like you figured this out nicely for yourself. Push yourself to write to the work count. It will pay off. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete