Friday, September 23, 2011

Writer's Workbench

Both times that I attempted to submit my post in the Writer's Workbench DB, it said "error", so I am posting my response here.


To be honest, I only read two of the tools underneath the "nuts & bolts" menu to the left. I did not complete either of the workshops provided, however I did find some useful information in the two tools that I did read. The two tools I read were "Branch to the right" and "Use strong verbs".
"Branch to the right" was a tool about setting up the sentence so that the verb and the subject are at/near the beginning. This did make the writing more interesting, I noticed in the examples given.

The second tool, "use strong verbs", was the tool that stood out the most to me. It was really cool how changing a simple sentence to using present verbs changed how interesting the sentence was. Also, this type of writing I am familiar with. In the interviews in magazines I read, the writing is structured using present-tense verbs, which, I feel, makes reading the piece more interesting, but also more personal. Using that type of writing entraps me and makes me feel as though I am there in the interview, too.

I only read those two tools, but that does not mean I am not planning on going back to read a few more, or the rest of the tools, because out of just the two I read, I have some new and different insight on how to go about writing a more attention grabbing essay; I plan on trying to put these tools to use on one of my next essays.

2 comments:

  1. Why did you choose only two tools? Were these the only ones you felt would assist you in reviewing grammar and mechanics? Don't forget to tell the whys in your writing. I look forward to seeing strong verbs in your writing. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. A,
    the reason I only chose two tools was because I had not scheduled my time wisely on this assignment.

    ReplyDelete