Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ocean

"How did it affect you? Tell about the first time you remember seeing the ocean or an amazing forest."
-writingfix.com



The first time I saw the ocean was when I was 15 years old. My mother and I had visited Florida (I believe Tampa Bay, to be exact) for the very first time - how exciting! And it was. We had won this trip on the radio contest so this was free for us.
The first morning there, I snuck out while my mom was still asleep and I crept outside to see the ocean for the first time and it was magnificent; words cannot describe how amazing it was. The ocean was big and beautiful and so relaxing (just thinking of it is making me miss it). I remember actually feeling the trees and thinking " wow, real palm trees" (hey, I had never seen one in person before!).

The ocean had it's distinct smell to it, and once mistake I took a gulp of the water and my word it is salty. More than any type of accidentally swallowed lake water I've ever had! The two nights there, my mom and I walked along the ocean and just relaxed. It was very nice. The moon and the ocean - I felt I was in a movie or something. It all was so relaxing. I would swim and my mom would watch from the shore. I was wary not to go in too far since I had no idea how close those sharks (my fear) might be!

Seeing the ocean is so... so wonderful. I wish everyone could experience it and it's beauty. I can see why people fall in love with the ocean. In all this time, I still have not forgotten how old I was, what month is was (January) and that my mom and I loved spending time outside there.

Looking out onto the ocean was endless. It kinda scared me, seeing all that water and imagining that there were probably ships out there. Knowing that there were sharks out there!!
It is just so great and scary and beautiful all at the same time.

That was the only time I have seen the ocean in person but I hope it certainly is not the last.

1 comment:

  1. Yes the ocean is a wonderful place. I had the opportunity to visit the Fort Walton Beach/ Destin area and was amazed at how the water was almost emerald in color against the sugar white sand. It is some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. And if you go in January you won’t have to deal with the crowds.

    ReplyDelete